CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 4, 2010

I can’t scream
We were the best of friends during the high school years. I treated his family as my family and so did he with mine. He steals my stuffs and I steal his. We do silly things together.
Summer. I was still sixteen years old back then and he was turning 17 by the next two days. He invited me to his party but I refused because I’ll be preparing for our clan reunion. He pleaded but I was firm with my decision.
By the next day, he texted me again, still, with the same reason- invitation. But I remained unmoved. I won’t sacrifice our reunion just to go to that damn party, meeting Betina and being teased with Ched, our class valedictorian. All those things just wrecked my day!
April 3, 2009.It was the date of Nathan’s birthday party and the day of our trip to Davao for the said reunion. I peeped on my phone as many times as possible waiting for the time that I’ll be able to receive a text message from him but to my disappointment I got nothing. I began nagging and blaming myself for being so martyr. I just realized that my vacation’s just turned out into a bland outing. How disgusting! I really hate myself.
It was almost nine in the evening at that time and the day will fade out soon. His birthday will end and still I didn’t have the courage to text him even a “Hi’.
A week after that, we went back home from our out-of-town vacation. As soon as I got home, I went to their house and asked his sister where is Nathan. I almost got sick when she told me that Nathan’s going to Cebu City because he’ll be studying there. I bade her goodbye and embedded a fake smile on my lips. She said her farewell, gave me a sign asking me to call somebody and yelled “Nathan”.
As soon as I was already home. I walked pass my older brothers, still busy arranging there belongings from the trip, went to my room, looked for my cellular phone, locate his number in my phone book, pressed “call” and BINGO! His phone began to rung. I was still on the call when a girl spoke to me saying, “The number you have dialed is either unattended or out of coverage area. Please try again later.” I pressed my head against my pillow. How bad, too much misfortune for me. I rolled over my bed until I rolled out of it.
The next day I went to there house again. I want to ask her sister about where in Cebu City will Nathan be staying. She answered me that he’ll be staying with their Aunt who lived just a kilometer or two from the institution. I asked her a few questions more and decided to leave at once.
When I arrived at our place, I told my mother that I want to study in Cebu. She became worried but I assured her I’ll be okay after all I’m an honor student. She told me to ask permission from my pop but he said it’s a big “NO” because I’ll be away from them and he’ll miss his little girl so much. He always treats me as if I’m always a little girl- so dependent. I decided to stay so as not to spoil their dream of having their only daughter live with them for the rest of their lives.
After six years, we had our first batch reunion but he was not able to attend. He was still busy studying because his pursuing law after becoming a certified public accountant. I can hardly believe he’ll become that successful despite he fact that his already an orphan after his parents met an accident a year ago.
I went home early that day because, as usual, Betina was there and everyone teased me to the newly graduated Magna cum laude nurse, Ched. Aside from those bugging reality, I felt insecure chatting with them for the reason they already are professionals. I know I’m also a professional but I just don’t want to tell them that I wasn’t able to pursue my dream of becoming a CPA lawyer but, instead, became a MassCom graduate to follow my mother’s dream for me and ,at that year, still studying civil engineering to follow my father’s footsteps.
It’s been eleven years after our graduation. Right now, I’m just sitting in a corner, watching the people around me merry-making, laughing out loud and telling their experiences to one another. It was our second batch reunion. I just eat the stuffs in the table, drink the beverages served to us when someone approach me behind, hold my eyes close and whisper to me. I know it was Nathan right away! I looked towards him. I want to shout. I want to yell but I can say a word. I can’t scream my heart out. I just display a big fake smile on my face and wish that the ground will crack open and swallow me down. I was so disappointed seeing him wearing that t-shirt with a print on it saying, “You’ll be my sister and I mean it!!!” while pointing towards the direction of my father as my father lip-sync the words “I’ll adopt him.”
-wyChaZel

0 comments: